IT’S ONLY ONE WEEK TIL PANCAKE DAY! And to celebrate the best, most tasty day of the whole year being so close, I’ve got a recipe for the greatest ever fluffy American pancakes.
Seriously, I’ve had several people tell me these are the best pancakes they’ve ever had so I’m not even blowing my own trumpet (I don’t think…)
Don’t get me wrong, I love thin pancakes as much as the next gal. But there’s just something that doesn’t compare to slicing through a huge stack of soft, fluffy American pancakes. The toppings are endless, they’re super easy to make and you can even fill them with chocolate chips for extra goodness.
I posted this recipe on my Instagram stories a few months ago and had SO many people asking me to do a recipe post, so here it is. Fluffy American pancakes just in time for pancake day!
FLUFFY AMERICAN PANCAKES
Time: 20 Minutes Difficulty: Easy Makes: 6-8 pancakes
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 135g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 130ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter or olive oil
- Extra butter (or oil) for cooking
- Any fillings (e.g. chocolate chips or blueberries)
D I R E C T I O N S
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and caster sugar in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl (or jug), whisk together the milk and the egg. When combined, whisk in the melted butter.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Any lumps that form at this stage will disappear with a little more mixing, I promise. Let the batter stand for a few minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan (or some sort of flat, cooking device – we use a crepe maker) over a medium heat and add a knob of butter (or oil). Add a ladle of batter per pancake – on our crepe maker I can fit 3-4 pancakes on it.
- If you want to add any fillings, now is the time! We used chocolate chips – simply sprinkle them on the uncooked side of the pancake and drizzle a small amount of mixture over the top so they don’t burn.
- Wait until the top of the pancake starts to bubble slightly, then turn the pancake over to cook the other side. Keep turning and cooking until both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- TOP TIP: If you are making enough for more than one person and actually want to eat together (seeing as we, for example, can only make 3 or 4 at a time), you can keep pancakes warm in an oven on a low heat or on a plate covered with foil – they’re REALLY great at retaining the heat.
- Once ready and cooked, serve with whatever you like! My favourite combination is strawberries, chocolate chips and a little icing sugar, but the combinations are endless!
If you make these beauties, please do send me a photo on Twitter or tag me on Instagram – I’d absolutely love to see what flavour combinations are your favourites! I hope you have the tastiest Pancake Day ever <3
(Oh and just FYI, these beautiful bowls are from Morrisons of all places! Definitely pick some up if you can, they make the world’s best props!)