Positivity is a little hard to come by nowadays, I think. Or real, honest positivity is anyway. There’s a lot of people “spreading positivity” because it’s the “in thing” to do, but whether they actually try to be positive people in general or not is another story. (Not that there’s anything wrong with spreading positivity of course – just the cynic in me talking).
I think most of us need a little extra dose of positivity in our lives – is there really such thing as too much? I know I’ve been feeling a bit low (read: totally shitty) for a good few months now. Partly because of the weather, partly because of a *cough* slight lack of funds (thanks to having to get out of debt and save for a flat deposit all at once. #AdultingSucks.) and partly just because of general poor mental health.
And it’s not just me. I’ve seen and heard a lot of people claiming there must have been something in the air for the first chunk of 2016 causing a bubble of negativity. Well, at least I’m not on my own…?
So today, to shake away those negative feels, I’ve put together a list of things (both short term things and long term things) you can do to inject a little positivity into your life (and keep it there).
1. Pay someone a compliment every single day.
2. Pay yourself a compliment every single day.
3. Remove any toxic people from your life. You don’t HAVE to be friends with anybody, just FYI.
4. Stop comparing your life/body/blog/job/anything with other people. (Tip: If you start to have thoughts where you’re comparing yourself, just try be aware of it and turn it into something positive. “Their ___ is amazing, that’s so great” over “Their ___ is better than my ___”).
5. Meditate as much as you can. (Honestly – it really does work.)
6. Keep a gratitude journal.
7. Or, just a list of things on your phone that make you happy. (Thank xameliax for this tip!)
8. Identify your negative/unhealthy habits and try and combat them one by one. It’s easier than trying to totally change everything all at once.
9. Treat everyone as you would wish to be treated.
10. Get more sleep.
11. Try yoga (or any other form of exercise). Release those endorphins!
12. You are what you think. In the wise words of Roald Dahl – “If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of you like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”
13. Have a morning routine that sets a good precedent for the rest of the day.
14. Smile more.
15. Have a more zen attitude. Try not to see things as happening to you but rather happening for you. Everything can be a lesson.
16. Always focus on the good. There is absolutely always a silver lining, even if it’s not instantly apparent.
17. Have goals to strive for.
18. Enjoy the little things. Not everything that makes you happy has to be a huge life milestone. Even something as simple as a 5 minute break with a cup of tea could make you happy.
19. Where possible, do not dwell on the past – it can’t be changed.
20. Do something you enjoy every single day.
21. Have things to look forward to. These don’t have to be huge – even just a coffee date with a friend.
22. Listen to some happy music.
23. Watch a happy film.
24. Try not to worry about the future – it won’t change anything.
25. Have an open mind.
26. Avoid overanalysing.
27. Buy some flowers.
28. Appreciate as much as you can. The train was on time this morning, that cup of tea tasted amazing, chocolate exists, you have a warm home, the sun is out, youtube means you can watch videos of cats all the time, that feeling of taking your bra off after a long day. Anything and everything can be appreciated.
And at the end of the day if you still have nothing to be positive about, remember this – I am positive that pets will always manage to ruin your blog photos.
Check out my March advertiser – Beauty blog, Beauteur!