We all have them. Bad days. Some more than others, but everyone has them. Those days where even so much as dropping your pen on the floor will make you burst into tears. (Totally not a true story…) I’ve had a few of them recently, which sucks. But the best thing about them is when they’re over, you’ve got through it and you can be super proud of yourself for not crying too much when you dropped your pen on the floor. Because of the sudden abundance of bad days in my life at the moment, I feel quite equipped to tell you all what I believe to be the best things to do when one appears. So here is Rhianna’s super duper fantastic tried and tested list of things to do when you’re having a bad day.
1. Have a good old cry. There’s nothing as cathartic as just crying until you feel better. Maybe watch a sad film to set you off, always works for me.
2. Eat all the chocolate. Because calories don’t count when you’re sad. (Disclaimer: technically they do. But your happiness is 10,000 times more important. And chocolate makes you happy. That’s just science.)
3. Drink all the tea. Whatever tea takes your fancy. Let it cuddle your soul with it’s comforting warmth.
4. Have something a little stronger. I am not condoning alcoholism here, but sometimes the only thing that works is a large measure of gin.
5. Nap. If you can nap. I’m the worst napper, it makes me feel groggy. But if you’re a champion napper, go lay your head on that pillow for a little bit.
6. Watch some funny TV that you can just tune out to. My suggestions are F.R.I.E.N.D.S, Parks & Recreation, The US Office or The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Proven to lift even the worst of moods.
7. Or watch a funny film. Or anything Disney.
8. Watch a sad film – sometimes that’s all that helps.
9. Pizza. Just pizza. Shhhh don’t question it. You know it’s the right thing to do.
10. Read a book. I don’t know, there’s just something nice and relaxing about getting lost in your own imagination.
11. Have a competition with yourself to see how many Lush bath bombs you can have in one bath until you feel like a sparkly fairy. It’s probably not even that many. (Or, just have a normal bath – they’re great too.)
12. Alternatively, if you don’t have a bath, have the longest, hottest shower ever. Cleanse away the sadness.
13. Watch YouTube videos of kittens.
14. Or bunnies.
15. Or puppies. Just something cute.
16. Listen to some of your favourite music. Just lie down, close your eyes and listen. (Or, if you’re like me, sing at the top of your voice and cry whilst you’re singing. It’s really pretty and attractive to watch, I’m sure.)
17. Meditate. Okay, so I know this post has been on the whole a little lighthearted but this is a more serious one. Meditation genuinely works. Do it. (I recommend Headspace if you want to get hooked on the free version then feel like you desperately need to part with a monthly subscription for more. Or Calm if you want something that’s almost as good and also free.)
18. Blankets and socks. The fluffier the better.
19. Search for quotes on Instagram and feel like an unstoppable queen.
20. Cuddle an animal. Doesn’t even have to be your animal, just has to be friendly. (Should probably be your animal, though.)
21. Moan on Twitter. Because people on Twitter are all super nice (especially if you’re a blogger – you guys flipping rule) and they’ll send you compliments and make you feel all fuzzy inside.
22. Put on some makeup and take some killer selfies. Because you’re sexy. And you know it. And everyone else should know it, too.
23. Paint your nails. There’s something relaxing about concentrating on painting your nails.
24. Colour in something. (Not random things like the walls or the cat, actual things like colouring books or online printables).
25. Search through the LOL section on Buzzfeed.
26. Do some exercise. It doesn’t have to be much. But, you know, endorphins and all that.
27. Go outside for a bit. Walk the dog, walk by yourself, run, skip, jump, just stand in the back garden. Fresh air is just wonderful when you feel shit. Unless it’s raining, snowing or windy, in which case – inside warmth is much more appealing.
28. Listen to Bad Day by Daniel Powter because he clearly just gets you.
So there it was. The list. The UBER list of things to do when you’re having a bad day. If you’re having a bad day, just remember y’all are amazing and you’re going to get through it. Now go cuddle a kitten, get a cup of tea and watch videos of dogs doing stupid things. You got this.
Check out my January advertiser, Sassy from Cup Venture!